Thursday, September 15, 2011

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #669


DC is getting all the buzz this month, but Marvel is happily chugging along with their respective big events and new series arrivals. This issue is Part 3 of "Spider Island," an event encompassing The Amazing Spider-Man, Herc, Black Panther and Venom, along with a bunch of one-shots and mini-series (29 issues altogether...you think anyone is actually going to read that many books?). The premise is stupid, sure, but I am kind of surprised it's never been done. A virus spreads through Manhattan that gives almost everybody spider powers. The evil behind it all turns out to be some chick named The Queen who I've never heard of. I guess Marvel is sick of The Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, The Sandman, Vulture, Electro, Mysterio, and any other quality villain. The writing by Dan Slott is swift, humorous, and fairly pedestrian. The art by Humberto Ramos is a little sloppy here but I do enjoy is kinetic, cartoony vibe. The big problem is that while it's fun in a silly sort of way it's certainly not anything special or great. I miss Parker with MJ. I miss Parker working at The Daily Bugle. I miss the old-school villains. This special event and this book have been a little too dry lately. **1/2 (out of ****)

No comments:

Post a Comment