Wednesday, October 3, 2012

AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #12

It's over (mercifully) (finally). It took 12 issues to...what? Kill off Professor Xavier, bring back more mutants to Earth...and...is that it? I admit that I actually read this entire event (minus most of the B-titles) and enjoyed a lot of it. There was one good issue that Jonathan Hickman wrote and one issue that had good art by Olivier Coipel. The rest was mostly a mess, but I was at least entertained and curious about the story, which I haven't been in a long time when talking about Marvel events (I might have read one or two issues of Fear Itself and none of Siege or Secret Invasion). In this issue the Phoenix leaves Cyclops, goes into Hope, then leaves the planet. That's it. Seriously. Where's the fucking drama? Cyclops stammers, "Please...kill me. Before it's...," in one panel which means this book could've been dramatic and sad and bloody and awesome. Most of that potential was lost. The art by Adam Kubert is good but the Jason Aaron script is poor and the final panel is awful. Not a good ending to a book that never truly took off. ** (out of ****).

No comments:

Post a Comment