Wednesday, June 30, 2010

CHEW #11


Rarely does a book come out where both the artist and writer are spectacular. Usually I'll get a book because I like a writer or a writer/artist and often I'll pick up a book because I like the artist but it rarely happens that I'll pick up a book because I like the writer and I like the artist. Chew would be a phenomenal book if it only had one piece of the puzzle because the writing is zany, swift, bizarre, and oh-so fun and the art is top-notch, jaw-droppingly creative, and a pleasure to gaze upon. This is truly one of the best new books in years, a fresh feature from two nobodies. It's so good that this issue isn't even all that great but it's still miles ahead of most mainstream stuff out there. This issue presents a new arc, “Just Desserts.” Agent Chu gets his date with the beautiful food critic. They just so happen to attend a dinner that serves famous, extinct delicacies like Dodo eggs. The catch? It's an ultra-secretive society. And it's sort of illegal. Chu ends up putting two bullets through a guy's skull and sleeping with the food critic. Hi-five! This issue also has a terrifically cool cover with a wooly mammoth. Nice. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment