Wednesday, March 30, 2011

GREEN LANTERN #64


This is part one in the "War of the Green Lanterns" arc. I'll admit it: I don't like Green Lantern very much, although I do love most of what Geoff Johns writes (his stint on Adventure Comics and Action Comics were both great). The reason I'm not a fan of this character is that it's beyond silly. I can't even say that it appeals to kids because it's complex and confusing. In this issue, Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, is hanging out with all of his villains. They end up facing Lyssa Drak, who rules The Book of the Black, which is a giant, evil book that attempts to suck them in. Yes, it's super stupid. Meanwhile, the blue dwarfs that run Oa end up getting possessed by various evil entities. In "Blackest Night" these blue dudes were also the first to be corrupted...so should they really still be the ones in charge? Parallax, an evil creature thing, takes over the Central Battery and then some of the good guys try to arrest Hal Jordan. It still surprises me that this is going to be a movie. How can they possibly make this comprehensible? The art by Doug Mahnke is detailed and not-bad and the colors are vibrant...but the underlying story is just plain laughable. I'm really not sure if this type of a world can ever be thrilling or engrossing. Green Lantern is just a book I guess I'll never understand. *1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment