Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE MIGHTY THOR #1


I'm a writer and I tend to think that I could make any superhero comic book better if I wrote it. It's not being narcissistic, it's just that I write what I like, and if I wrote Spider-Man or Batman it would be an issue with characters, a story, a tone, and dialogue that I would enjoy. The one book that I doubt even I could make compelling is Thor. Maybe it's the way he speaks, maybe it's the fact that he only has one villain, but I'm surprised he's lasted this long (and has a big-budget Hollywood film coming out Friday). Thor is dull. I did enjoy writer J. Michael Straczynski's short run on the book a few years back, but even his run was helped by awesome artist Olivier Coipel, who returns here for writer Matt Fraction's new #1 issue. This issue isn't awful but it isn't very fun, readable, or enjoyable. Fraction has fun writing Iron Man, but with Thor he hasn't come up with any good ideas. This issue features Thor finding the World Tree, Loki morphing into a child for no good reason, and the Silver Surfer (still comic book's worst idea) looking for Galactus. Even Coipel's art is a little less brilliant and perfect as it usually is. Straczynski made Loki a hot chick and now Fraction makes Loki a child. Yawn. Realistically, I couldn't even make Thor interesting. *

No comments:

Post a Comment