Friday, April 2, 2021

READING THE CLASSICS: AVENGERS WEST COAST #50

 


Published on November 1st, 1989

    This is the last issue in the "Vision Quest" trade paperback, although it's certainly not the last issue in this continuing storyline. One of the mysteries yet to be solved is Vision and The Scarlet Witch's kids that keep disappearing. Well in this issue a strange new, ominous nanny shows up to solve the case. She's in shadow, so we don't know who she is. Maybe she's Angela Harkness, the witch that was the villain in WandaVision. I suppose I could keep reading this book to find out, but who the fuck knows how long all of these threads continue? We do learn who that woman in the Denver homeless shelter was. She was Toro's wife. Who's Toro? He was the Human Torch's partner. She doesn't think her husband is dead. This leads to the West Coast Avengers digging up the Human Torch's body and, thanks to Wanda, bringing him back to life and he joins the team. Also, Tygra is more cat than woman now so Pym shrunk her and she's in a glass box. And Iron Man shows up on the last page. I just looked up "Vision Quest" online and it seems like it continues for two more issues and then a last aftermath issue. Why aren't those issues in the trade paperback? Who the hell knows? I guess I'll have to track them down somehow. I did look up the sales figures for comics back in 1989 and this book was actually in the top 15...so I guess it was pretty popular. That's surprising, actually, as this issue proves that this comic is too convoluted for kids to read. But I suppose kids that read comics are smarter than kids that don't. I mean...you never see cool kids or bullies reading...right? And they're typically dumb as a box of rocks. *


No comments:

Post a Comment