Wednesday, December 23, 2020

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #29 (ENDLESS WINTER PART 7)


      Not a lot happens in this issue, which is kind of a surprise because I think this event is only 9 parts. The big thing that occurs in this issue is that an old Viking dude from the 10th century is reborn as Swamp Thing today. When he's reborn, a chimp says, "Oh yeah. I think this endless winter is about to get hot." Oh, did I not mention that there's a talking chimp in this issue? The chimp is the bartender at a bar that I think is supposed to be on Wonder Woman's island. Maybe all of this would make sense if I ever read Justice League Dark. Alas, I have not. Who's in the dark Justice League? After reading this issue, I still don't know. I think John Constantine was on the team when the book first started. I believe it started with the first New 52 launch. I actually probably read the first issue, as I think I tried all of the New 52 books when that launched because it was pretty exciting. DC is truly a mess these days, although I did enjoy Tom King's first issue of Batman/Catwoman. And as often as I disparage Tom King, his books are really the only interesting things going on at DC these days. Bendis' last issue of Action Comics was released today, so maybe the Superman books might have a chance of being good in the future. Batman and Detective Comics are both lousy, so that certainly doesn't help. I'm not even that excited about anything going on at Marvel these days, either. Image Comics is the only company that seems to produce books I really love these days. While I was reading "Endless Winter" part 7, which focuses mostly on Swamp Thing, I just kept thinking about Alan Moore's excellent Swamp Thing run. Swamp Thing is just about the dumbest superhero ever created, and yet Moore is such a great writer that somehow he made it excellent. There are definitely some good writers out there that might be able to put out an excellent book with Swamp Thing (Donny Cates? Ed Brubaker? Robert Kirkman?) these days. But, man, the pickings feel pretty slim. 1/2*

No comments:

Post a Comment