Sunday, April 5, 2020

30 REVIEWS IN 30 DAYS (14): THE AVENGERS #90


Released on July 10th, 1971

     I was kind of hoping to review 30 different comics from various publishers during this project, mostly to showcase just about everything that's going on in the comic book world these days. But since I started reviewing the original "Kree/Skrull War" story line from the early 70's, I figured I might as well finish it. At least it'll get my mind off the fact that 562 people died in NYC yesterday in a 24 hour time period. I think escapism is good. Although, this "Kree/Skrull War" story is getting more convoluted and it's only the second issue. I suppose I could have just reviewed something simple and dumb like Stan Lee's The Amazing Spider-Man run. There's a lot to unpack in this issue, and a lot of flashbacks to issues I've never read nor, let's face it, never will. Some of this was set up in The Fantastic Four and Captain Marvel (which had already been cancelled by this time). The Kree Sentry robot, who attacked The Avengers in the last issue, was sent to Earth years ago but woke up thanks to The Fantastic Four. Now he's awake again and wants to kill Captain Marvel because Marvel is a Kree who turned his back on them to become an Earthling. There's also new characters in this issue. And no, it's no big stars like Iron-Man, The Hulk, or Captain America. We get Yellow Jacket in this and Goliath and The Wasp. We also get a tropical island base...in Antartica! While this issue is never boring, it's also a bit too convoluted for my taste. It is pretty hilarious, though, and I'm not sure a lot of it is intentional. Yellow Jacket gets turned into a caveman like monster at the end for some reason. The dialogue is a lot like this: "But-- we must go!" "Oh? Where to? How do you pursue something that--disappears?" "She has a point there, Avenger." I just imagine writer Roy Thomas cackling as he's typing this script. Either way, the story is at least interesting. And it is fun. And where the fuck are the Skrulls? **

No comments:

Post a Comment