Wednesday, April 8, 2020

30 REVIEWS IN 30 DAYS (17): THE AVENGERS #93



Released on November 10th, 1971

     So this book skipped a month and came back with a 34 page issue (usually they're 20 pages) that's 25¢ (they had been 15¢). There's also a new artist, Neal Adams, on board (I liked Sal Buscema's art better). And finally the Skrulls show up...in just about the stupidest way possible. Last issue, Captain Marvel, The Vision, Goliath, Rick Jones, and Carol Danvers left New York City to head to the country to hide Captain Marvel since everyone wanted to tear Captain Marvel apart because he's an alien. But it just so happens that Reed Richards encountered the Skrulls a while back and turned them into cows (I said it was stupid). Well they're not cows anymore, so they capture Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers. The Vision escapes and goes back to the Avengers mansion where he collapses. Iron-Man, Thor, Captain America, and Ant-Man are there and Ant-Man goes into The Vision's body to find a bunch of metal bars attacking him. Yep. I kind of really liked this book when I first started reading it, but it's turned into kind of a complete mess in these last two issues, especially in this one. I'm still patiently waiting for this epic Skrull/Kree war that's apparently a classic story line but is taking forever to occur. I think that I've read and collected just about every big superhero book over the years at one point. I've never really read or collected The Avengers, though, and this issue makes me realize why. There's way too many fucking characters! At least with the first arc it just had the B-characters and everyone had room to breathe. Now we have like twenty characters and so no one really gets any time to shine. And why is Hank Pym the Ant-Man, the Giant-Man, and Yellow Jacket? First off, there's already a big dude, Goliath. So why not just stick with Ant-Man? I guess the answer is this is #93 and you've gotta change shit all the time to keep the readers interested. Unfortunately, it just confuses the hell out of me. The sequence with Ant-Man inside The Vision is like ten pages and boring as hell. I don't know...maybe this is all leading to some great, space epic down the road. I mean...it is famous. There has to be a reason. I'm still waiting. 1/2*

No comments:

Post a Comment